The Best French Onion Soup
- 8 slices Aunt Millie's Family-Style Italian Bread
- 1/2 c. butter
- 8 medium onions, sliced
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 4 c. chicken stock
- 4 c. beef stock
- 2 Tbsp. dry sherry
- 8 slices Swiss Cheese
Yield: 8 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter in a large stock pot and add onions, sugar, pepper, thyme, and garlic. Cook onions, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes until soft and brown.
- After onions have cooked 30 minutes, add flour, and stir to coat the onions. Cook the mixture a couple of minutes to cook off any raw flour taste.
- Slowly begin adding the stock, stirring constantly. Simmer until slightly thickened, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, lay out 8 slices of bread onto a sheet pan. Spray liberally with cooking spray on both sides. Place in oven to toast for 7-10 minutes, flipping halfway through cooking. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Change oven setting to broil.
- Add the dry sherry to the onion soup and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Ladle soup into 8 ovenproof crocks, filling them about 3/4 full. Place a slice of bread into the bowls, and top with a slice of cheese.
- Broil soup until the cheese is browned, 3-4 minutes.
- Carefully remove from oven and enjoy.
| ||Serving Size 1 serving || |
| ||Number of Servings 8 || |
| ||Calories 472 || |
| ||Calories from Fat 189 || |
| ||Total Fat 21g ||32% DV |
| || ||Saturated Fat 14g ||36% DV |
| || ||Trans Fat 0g || |
| || ||Polyunsaturated Fat 1g || |
| || ||Monounsaturated Fat 3g || |
| ||Cholesterol 56mg ||19% DV |
| ||Sodium 807mg ||34% DV |
| ||Potassium 3mg ||0% DV |
| ||Total Carbohydrate 55g ||18% DV |
| || ||Dietary Fiber 4g ||16% DV |
| || ||Sugar 10g || |
| ||Protein 18g || |
*Percent Daily Values (%DV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.