Bread and Butter Pudding with Cherries
- 8 slices of Aunt Millie's Best Grains Honey & Crunchy Oat Bread
- Butter (for spreading)
- 2 cups cherries (stems and pits removed)
- Cinnamon (to taste)
- Nutmeg (to taste)
- 1 quart milk
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 Tbsp. vanilla
- Brown sugar (to taste)
- 1 cup-full cherry juice
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp. water
- 1 to 2 Tbsp. butter
Yield: 12 servings
- Butter slices of bread. Place four slices (or enough to fill) in a single layer in the bottom of a 9-by-13-inch pan. Cover with 1 cup cherries. Sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg. Repeat for second layer.
- Pour milk in mixing bowl; add eggs and vanilla; sweeten with brown sugar to taste. Pour mixture over contents of pan; soak for two to three hours. Bake in oven for one hour at 325 degrees.
- In saucepan, combine cherry juice, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, 3 tablespoons water and butter. Stir constantly while bringing to a boil. Remove from heat and cool until safe to eat.
- Cut bread pudding into 12 equal slices. Plate each slice and drizzle cherry sauce on top before serving.
| ||Serving Size 1 Slice (202g) || |
| ||Number of Servings 12 || |
| ||Calories 260 || |
| ||Calories from Fat 45 || |
| ||Total Fat 5g ||8% DV |
| || ||Saturated Fat 1.5g ||8% DV |
| || ||Trans Fat 0g || |
| || ||Polyunsaturated Fat 1g || |
| || ||Monounsaturated Fat 1.5g || |
| ||Cholesterol 75mg ||25% DV |
| ||Sodium 180mg ||8% DV |
| ||Potassium 310mg ||9% DV |
| ||Total Carbohydrate 37g ||12% DV |
| || ||Dietary Fiber 5g ||19% DV |
| || ||Sugar 20g || |
| ||Protein 9g || |
*Percent Daily Values (%DV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Bush, Debbie (2010, February 10). Bread and Butter Pudding with Cherries. The Indianapolis Star, p. C3.